Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Nahmie Nahmie is offline

Default What is it? Set 260

On Nov 28, 11:44*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
humunculus wrote:
On Nov 28, 11:20 pm, E Z Peaces wrote:
E Z Peaces wrote:
Rob H. wrote:
I haven't had any luck in identifying the large metal ring in
number 1473, maybe someone here will recognize it.

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

Patent 4997020 is for a device where a metal band of several
sections
would be tightened around a truck tire to seat the bead. It says
putting a strap around the tire was an established method, but this
would result in asymmetrical pressure, due in part to friction
between the strap and the rubber.

1473 could reduce friction in tightening a strap. The hooks could
also be a means of compensating for asymmetrical pressure by
exerting pull between hooks across the circle.

I dunno...the patent device seems to be made of a series (at least
3)
sections that can overlap, so tighening the device reduces the
circumference. This thing seems pretty solid.

Some observations: the 'handles' are directly opposite that D-shaped
stain on the opposite side. It might be the bottom, with the two
handles on top at 10:00 and 2:00.

The truck seems to be a welder's truck....does this have anything to
do with welding? If not, could it be something he is taking back to
be
repaired?

Around the rim of the ring are 7 'rods' that extend beyond the ring.
Are the ends of these rods bent outward, or are there little 'knobs'
at the top? And between each rod are 5 small angled things, that
look
like they could be used to secure a flat plate on to the ring.

Hmm....I love a mystery, but less so when I know it might never be
answered.

The thing that's bugging me is that I feel like I've seen one of those
damn things somewhere and I have no idea where it was.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)- Hide quoted text -

Wild guess here - Could it have anything to do with pipeline work? I
see a lot of trucks like this in the East Texas area, several right
here in the RV park we stay in, and these guys are doing gas/oil
pipeliune construction. Still don't know what that big ring is for,
but just thought I might throw in an alternative employment for the
vehicle.