Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Springy steel

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 19:26:52 -0500, Wes wrote:

David Lesher wrote:

It would be made from spring steel, say coat-hanger diameter, in s
specific shape. Key to its use would be it could be bent in one way to
deploy it, but it would revert to its original shape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shape_memory_alloy

HTH,

Wes

Y'know, I could envision some things (a basket-shaped stent, for
instance) that could be done just with the right temper of material. But
at some point, yes, you need shape memory alloy.

I want to get some sometime, just to play. Small parts carries shape
memory wire, and I think it's really cool that you can make a part at one
temperature, wad it up into a ball at another temperature, then cool it
down and have it spring out in the original shape.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com