Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Are name-brand low-energy fluorescent "Green" bulbs any brighterthan store brand?

Doc wrote:
Just got a 4-pack of the Walmart "Great Value" version of these energy-
saver style fluorescent 23w bulbs which they claim are equivalent to a
100w incandescent bulb. Not even close. It's about like a 40w bulb.

Are the name brand bulbs of this type any better?

A 23 watt CFL lamp should put out a great deal
of light. One thing I have found when dealing
with a number of CFL lights is the fact that the
lamps have a warm up period. The colder the ambient
temperature the more time it takes the darn things
to reach full brightness. I've installed them in
the bathroom exhaust fan/light fixtures at several
business because of the long life of the lights and
soon discovered that in the wintertime it's like a
40 watt incandescent until about 10 minutes later
when it's as bright or brighter than a 100 watt
standard bulb. In the summertime, flip the switch
and it as bright as ever. I imagine that the more
expensive CFL lamps will perform better over a wider
temperature range.

TDD