Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Hot water shutoff [was; Copper to galvanized pipe question]

Boden wrote:

-snip-
The second sentence is more worrisome. "... a shut-off valve in at
least the cold inlet waterline is recommended,..." Where would another
other shut-off valve be placed? In the only other waterline, the hot
water outlet? This is an implied prescription for a bomb, and violates
every plumbing code that I'm familiar with.

Since that's how mine is done I'm curious. How is having a shutoff
at the tank any more dangerous than the normal shutoffs at the
faucets?

Can you cite a code that forbids it? Or better yet- an incident where
a [preferably open as that is the normal state] valve on the hot side
caused an explosion?

I agree that it is a minimal advantage, but I'm glad that whoever did
mine, did it this way. When I work on the hot water lines I
shut just them down.

Thanks,
Jim