Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default 26.5A on a 20A circuit?

Yeah, there's a 20A circuit now that runs the outlets , 2 garage door
openers, and 2 lights sockets inside and 2 outside. I'm going to see about
intercepting the lighting circuit and put them on their own 20A service. I
need to drop in a few ceiling outlets anyway for more fixtures, so hopefully
it will be simple enough to drop in that extra circuit. Since I put in the
two 220V circuits I have the wall about the panel opened up already.

"spud42" wrote in message

"Kevin" wrote in message
l.net...
Yeah, I know; this is mostly an academic discussion.

I did try to have the DC and jointer running, and then switched on the TS.
That still did not trip it.

Pragmatically, what I've wired is exactly as I expect -- a dedicated DC
circuit and one other for the tool solo use (TS, jointer, TBD).

Now my more pressing reality is that the 110 outlets and lighting are on
another 20A circuit. I'm contemplating installing more ceiling outlets
for
about 12 shoplight fixtures (12x2x40 (maybe 32) ) or 768 watts or about 7
amps. That leaves 13A for the other 110 power tools ( 1 hp bandsaw, rated
10A, miter box, 12.5" planer, etc). I'm contemplating adding another 110
circuit for the lights.

I would
I hate being in the dark when you trip a breaker or it
needs to be shut off, and you can still have light to work
Just put all the lights on a 15-amp breaker
You forgot the 80% rule Just because you didn't trip a breaker on your 20A
Means nothing at all
20-amp breakers can only carry 16 amps-80 percent of their rating-on a
continuous basis. Continuous basis is considered to be a circuit loaded to
capacity for three hours or more.
So dust collector (5.5A, 1.5HP) on it's own could have the lights added

Spud