Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Switch polarity question (electrical)

On Nov 28, 9:42*am, Phisherman wrote:
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 07:12:37 -0800, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

Up in the attic. *Have to bring hot wire to junction box with three legs
going out. *Each leg goes to ceiling light of different rooms. *YES, I can
power them up and the wall switch in each room turns on its respective
light. BUT, what's an easy way to test that I don't have hot and neutral
reversed. *The old romex in the attic (two wire, cloth wrapped) is NOT color
coded in any way.

Do I simply drag a neutral wire from a different circuit and probe the bulb
socket in each room? *Is there an easier way? *My A.C. voltmeter obviously
does not indicate polarity.

All replies appreciated. *Sheetrock guy is coming tomorrow a.m. and I have
to solve this today!

Ivan Vegvary

There are plug-in inexpensive testers to tell you from hot and
neutral. *Many just plug into an outlet, but I'm sure you can get one
of those screw-in sockets that would allow you to plug the tester in.

But the plug-in testers assume that you have a 3-wire outlet to work
properly.

Bob H