Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Squaring a milling vise

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
Just out of curiousity, I wonder if the indicator error occurs every time
the pointer goes a full turn?

Dial indicator's pointers typically rest past zero, but if you don't need
to indicate the full range of the indicator (1 inch or 1000 x .001"), you
can start the measurement at any spot on the plunger travel.

You shouldn't have to (the one you have is messed up), but it might give
better/more consistent results if you use a different area of the plunger
travel.

If this dial indicator can't be returned for a good replacement or refund,
take it apart just for the experience of seeing the tiny internal parts,
and also to eliminate any future frustrations of measurement errors.

You are right. I fiddled until I found a point where the zero was more or
less consistent and did the set up there.
I think it was Jim Wilkins that led me to formulate the policy "the cheaper
the tool, the more expensive the measuring equipment needs to be".