Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default The lesson from the Mumbai mayhem

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

But there is no such place in the developed world, including the US. I
haven't checked the percentages in different states but Texas, for
example,
has issued carry permits to something like 1.5% of its population. That
wouldn't start a chain reaction. It would be a fizzle. The effect of armed
citizens would be negligible. But the more there were, the more
opportunity
there would be to get them shooting each other. Viola! Critical mass...

Of the 1.5% how many actually carry all the time?

A good question. Some fraction, which brings the number down farther.

Now, say I'm in my hotel room and banging starts going off. I'm staying
put, hopefully
finding something for cover, including filling the bath tub and staying
behind the wall
next to it.

Someone breaking though the door is going to get shot.

I doubt we would have a bunch of Rambo's.

In your room, you could be OK.

But given their obvious disregard for their own lives, I think they could
work around that easily. Concentrate on crowds outdoors. That's some of what
they did in this case.

--
Ed Huntress