Tom

Default Need info re spindle taper and stuck chuck on Craftsman 150 drill press

Bruno wrote:

Bad story is this... the headstock was off center and I wanted to
center it. I had a friend to help (who has a dozen drill presses at
his shop). I started to tell him what I wanted to do and before I
could stop him he just reached up and released the headstock lock. The
headstock came down instantly onto the table (about a 12" drop).
Fortunately, no hands were down there.

Before this happened, I had measured under .003 runout below the
chuck. Now I measure about twice that. So I figure I'll remove the
chuck (Jacobs) . It took a lot of work to get the thrust collar loose,
but I cannot get the chuck off. I fear the force of about 50 or more
pounds of headstock falling 12" on the chuck might have really stuck
it in.

Anyway, I don't know what the taper is and would appreciate any help
in figuring out how to get that chuck off. There is no slot on the
spindle for the drift. I have a manual for a slightly older version of
this drill press, and it says "be sure the taper on the chuck and on
the spindle are clean", so I know it is a taper, and there is a "chuck
removal wedge" in the parts list, but I don't have it.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks.

If it's possible, check with the manufacturer for the wedge. You might be able
to fashion a removal wedge out of some 3/16ths-1/4 inch mild steel (it's gotta
fit in the access, as it's just about 4 inches long, and tapering maybe 20-25
degrees. Grind a 4 inch by 2 inch rectangle of the stuff to a small end
dimension around 1/2 inch, relieve the edges, and have at it. Tom, shooting
from the hip again.
Someday, it'll all be over....