Posted to alt.home.repair

Default paint-protection for plywood, to withstand water, snow, etc?

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 07:47:11 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On 27 Nov 2008 05:11:13 -0500, (David Combs) wrote:

Our basement boiler-room (steam-heat, water-heater, other heater,
all gas) has, up high, a window looking out into a grate-covered
pit. (Grate at ground-level.)

For safety from CO, we keep the window open a few inches,
always, allowing boiler-updraft to drag in fresh air.

Right here- if it were me. . . I'd close the window, install a CO
detector. . . and if it indicates a problem I'd install a pvc
dedicated vent that only opened when the furnace called for air.

After sleeping on it, I'd like to correct that. If I had a CO leak,
I'd *fix* it before somebody died.

Jim

You don't want any detectable CO, it is highly poisonous. Very low
levels are expected, nor is it practical to remove all CO, as carbon
dioxide and carbon monoxide are in equilibrium.