Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair
Heinz Schmitz Heinz Schmitz is offline

Default 12AX7 failure

wrote:

b) Current-production tubes are readily available. Not for free, and
one may vastly over-pay, but it is not as if it were a 19T8 or some-
such.

I hear that presently there are only russian and chinese productions
going on. Hard to get at - if you'd agree that an eBay-buy from
Ukraina or China is somewhat "hard" :-).

I think that most of the post-war radio tubes are available only as
NOS (ECH81, EF4x, EF8x,ELxx ...). Somebody should make some
fivehundred EM34/35 and earn himself a good meal.

Generally I found that to buy tubes is a lottery except if you have a
known and trustworthy dealer. Many deaf nuts being handed around.

Regards,
H.