Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Squaring a milling vise

Jon Elson wrote:
Yup, I bought one of those boat anchors, too. I
used the swivel one time, was APPALLED at the
flexibility of the whole stack, pulled the vise
off the swivel base and have never used it again.
It is actually EASIER to align the vise without
the swivel, you loosen only ONE bolt and tap the
vise a little to adjust the end the indicator is
reading, then run down to the other end.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I suspect that is coming. Right now I am so
pleased that everything is square I do not want to disturb anything. The
family has to walk around the machine on tippy toes and speak softly in its
presence.

3) I cannot stop the spindle rotating, even in the lowest gear.

That is a problem. How to you change the tool
with the drawbar?

There is a hole at the top which accepts a tommy bar of sorts. This stops
the spindle rotating and the drawbar can be unscrewed. To change just the
bit I have two collet keys - one holds the top of the spindle steady and the
other one does the business.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC