Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Squaring a milling vise

In article , Michael Koblic wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article , "Michael Koblic"

wrote:
Phil Kangas wrote:

On my old Millport (Bridgeport clone from Taiwan) there is a
boss with a set
screw near the quill lock through which I can insert a rod
with a D.I.. That
way the movement of the quill is not even considered. Much
more stable
and quick to use. You want the face of the chuck in line
with the table
movement., right?

I am not entirely sure. All I can see is a need for a point which is a)
rigid and b) independent of the table movement to which I attach the
indicator so I can run the face of the vise jaw past it and see if it moves.
The chuck is the logical choice. In my case there is the added complication
of having to arrange the indicator on its supporting rods so it can a)
present the point as near as possible to right angle at the vise jaw face
and b) can be read - it required some thought!

I can see a test indicator in my Christmas stocking, but same problem will
ensue if I attach it to a chuck that can move. Using the bar to stop the
spindle movement (as when changing MT3 attachments) still allows some
movement.

While you are at it, ask Santa for an Indicol (on sale at Enco, by
the way). This not only allows more flexibility in mounting an
indicator, but allows you to leave tooling in the spindle it you have to
indicate something. I use it for aligning my vise, but also for tramming
the head. It can swing out far enough to get a very sensitive tramming
measurement. I have the additional "Adjustol" rod, but never use it.

I searched Enco and as far as I gather Indicol is a maker of dial-related
things. Many items came up. Do you have the specifics?

http://www.use-enco.com/cgi/INLMPI?P...1841&PMPAGE=31

or search of part # SG891-5414, on sale for $35.99

Page 345 of the master catalog has a collection of them for
different sized spindle noses.

Doug White