Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Bandsaw vs cold saw

Errol Groff wrote:
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 10:09:48 -0600, RoyJ
wrote:

To give you a feel for things: the Delta vertical bandsaw has a blade
life of around 2 weeks, usually winds up missing most of the teeth after
someone tries to cut some .120 stainless, snags the teeth. I'm afraid
I'd be looking at sending in a $500 cold saw blade every other week. Not
going to happen on my watch.

Roy:

I don't have any experience with a cold saw but PLENTY of experience
with a bandsaw. We have the same situation, inexperienced students
shoving anything through the saw, sometime a brand new blade can be
demolished almost as soon as it is installed.

Sounds like what used to happen down the votech college in Wichita. I
used to attend the machining evening class and someone in the day
classes used to ruin the band saw blades in short order. It annoyed the
instructors and on a number of occasions I ended up sawing 2" aluminium
plate by hand because it was quicker than using the saw.
Band saw blades while not cheap are much more affordable in a student
shop. Maybe a hands on demo with a sign off sheet before students are
allowed to use the saw would help.

Good luck with a losing battle!

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department