Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default paint-protection for plywood, to withstand water, snow, etc?

On 27 Nov 2008 05:11:13 -0500, (David Combs) wrote:

Our basement boiler-room (steam-heat, water-heater, other heater,
all gas) has, up high, a window looking out into a grate-covered
pit. (Grate at ground-level.)

For safety from CO, we keep the window open a few inches,
always, allowing boiler-updraft to drag in fresh air.

Right here- if it were me. . . I'd close the window, install a CO
detector. . . and if it indicates a problem I'd install a pvc
dedicated vent that only opened when the furnace called for air.

I've heard that there is some sort of energy thing going on where it
cost more to heat the great outdoors. I don't know for sure as I've
been trying to *seal* things up around here- not open them up.

-snip-
Happens that six months ago I (surrepticiously) retrieved from our garbage
some old half-inch pieces of plywood.

My idea is to use one of them to lay one of them across near-grate concrete-blocks,
to return the room to a "safe" condition.

And invite wood eating insects to live on the warm side of that board.
Do it right- do it once.

This is probably the most expensive way out- but at $60, it will
probably pay for itself in lost heat in a few years- not to mention
the safety & esthetics 'payback'.
http://www.myhvacparts.com/Catalogue...tion%20Kit.htm

Jim