Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Power Feed ?

Bill Noble wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
I picked up a treadmill today , for free - well , OK , I got a
couple gallons of gas invested . I know it's probably overkill from
a power standpoint , but has anyone used one of these drive motors
to power an X-axis powerfeed ? Variable speed , and reversible with
some switching hardware . Got other features too , none of which
I'll be needing . Who cares what my heartbeat is while I'm milling a
slot in a chunk of aluminum ?
--

the motor will work, but you will want to gear it down quite a bit -
100 to 1 or 200 to 1 seems about right - I'd encourage a worm gear

Thanks , y'all ! I was planning on reduction with a belt/pulley , but I can
see that might not be enough . First step will be to see what RPM it turns ,
and if there's reduction built in .
The motor might end up powering my little drill press if I can't figger a
way to adapt it for the mill .
Might end up still powering the treadmill , AFAIK that part isn't broke ,
just the incline motor system . If that can be repaired easily , I might be
able to get some cash outta this thing .
Cash is good ...
--
Snag
sometimes ya gotta