Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Squaring a milling vise

On Nov 26, 10:25*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
...eBook on French military victories...
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/7294

That's gotta be a _short_ book, wot? bseg

It's longer than it should have been, he's French and couldn't resist
rambling on about fear and bravery. But it does explain ancient
infantry and cavalry tactics quite well, enough to make Xenophon
easier to follow;
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1170
I learned fire and maneuver during the Vietnam era and never
understood a line of troops marching into musket fire. He explains why
a volley made so few if any hits. He wrote in the period of new
weapons and old tactics, when military thinkers observed the changes
but didn't correctly predict the solutions, a major cause of the
stalemate of WW1. I think that inventors overwhelmed military minds
with a flood of bad technical solutions and made them distrust
everything, including the few really good ones. We have that now with
alternate energy.

Harold, indicating the table isn't a waste on a mill-drill. On the one
I bought the tee slots were on a slight angle to the ways. I made
accurate keys for the vise by fitting the keys snugly into the slots
and then milling a step on both top edges that was automatically
parallel to table travel.

Jim Wilkins