Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Doorbell always uses electricity!

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 02:23:05 +0000 (UTC), (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

In ,
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 05:36:33 -0800 (PST),

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 01:22:33 +0000 (UTC),
(Don
Klipstein) wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Jim Redelfs wrote:
SNIP what was already said

The other point worth making is that the power and cost figures for
standby power are routinely exaggerated.

The ones I mentioned in this thread are actual measurements. I have a
watt meter!

I believe you already said that. Its good to have real figures.

I have quite an assortment of "wall warts" and other assorted power
supplies for devices that have been discarded over the years.

All of them work.
I tested 19 of them for idle current draw on a digital meter that
reeds to the closes 0.01 amp.
6 of the 19 registered no parasitic draw at all, and the rest varied
from .02 to .06 amps

Unfortunately its not current that counts, but power. Idle current on
transformers does not havea power factor of 1.

True, as I stared before - however if there is no CURRENT draw, there
is no POWER. The ones that draw no current consume no power. Those
that draw .o5A consume somewhat less than the calculated 5.85 watts at
117 volts.

Additionally:

My PC draws .05A
The charger for my Craftsman battery drill draws 0.05A

Both battery chargers for nicads / nimh batteries showed no idle
current at all.

A 200watt Variac shows no draw at all.

sounds like your meter's faulty

Nope. 0 amps indicated means less than 0.01 amp. As I clearly stated,
accurate to 0.01 amp.

If it indicates less than .01 amp for that Variac, and the Variac is not
disconnected somehow, I doubt the emeter is accurate at all.

- Don Klipstein )

Well, I tested it and it works - and the idle current IS less than .01
amps. I'll check it with my lab meter when I get a chance.