Posted to alt.home.repair
JJ[_8_] JJ[_8_] is offline

Default uneven garage floor

So, I've seen this problem posted a few places but have yet to find an
easy and inexpensive stop-gap solution.

I have a 2-car garage. My garage floor is just a concrete slab (no
drain). In theory, it should angle slightly towards the front and
center, but it is imperfect and when snow and ice falls off the car,
what happens is from some places it moves toward the garage door or
stays where it is (both fine), but from other places it moves toward
the back or sides of the garage.

I'm perfectly happy to take a broom or squeegee when necessary and
push the water out the front. But because of lack of storage space
elsewhere in the hose (no attic, tiny basement), I tend to store a lot
of stuff in the garage. I have a various shelving units both in the
back and sides of my garage. I've raised these wooden units up off
the floor with bricks, but water will pool underneath these things and
I can not easily get it out. Not to mention that some stuff is just
on the floor.

For the past few years, I've been using these vinyl car-pads (http://
www.carpad.com/carpads.html) under the cars to contain the water, and
then I push it out when necessary. But they have deteriorated, and
don't hold the water as well any more, not to mention that they have
bunched up in certain places making it difficult to push the water
out. Also, they tend to stay wet underneath all winter, which can't
be good for concrete slab. And they're kind of pricey.

It would be nice to make a shallow (1-2") berm around the area where
the cars are parked. Then the water wouldn't get to my storage area,
and I could just push it out when necessary. This product looks like
it could do the trick (http://www.newpig.com/en_US/st/
2LHBCONTAINMENTBERMS.html), but it seems ridiculously expensive for
what you get.

Any tips on how to resolve this problem quickly, easily and
inexpensively?

Thanks.

-Jonathan