Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default What diamond/green wheel for side grinding on my bench grinder?

"rodjava" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a nice 10" bench grinder and would like to mount a diamond or
green grinding wheel on it for side grinding lathe bits. Mostly high
speed steel with the occational carbide.

I read and have been told never to grind on the sides of my existing
80 and 120 grit wheels.

I can't afford a dedicated carbide grinder so I want to convert my
bench grinder into a more usefull machine. I really only use my
grinder for lathe bits.

Any information would be appreciated.

Rod
San Francisco

If you'd like to read some of my ravings about sharpening HSS, the selection
of grinding wheels, and grinders, here's a link of a multitude of posts I've
made on the Chaski board. I didn't compile the file, but it was compiled
with my approval.

http://www.savefile.com/files/915454

I'm very outspoken about the subject of offhand grinding of toolbits----and
have provided some guidelines that you may find useful. Or not. One of
the points I make is learning to sharpen HSS without using a tool rest or
other cheat devices. If you develop the skill, there is no better way
aside from using a tool & cutter grinder.

Harold