Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk jk is offline

Default Obtaining 460v from a "480 - 240" ACME Transformer

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

At that voltage level, you are not allowed to use directly activated
switches, and must instead use contactors in grounded metal boxes, and
so on. I'm sure we will hear from the electricians on the group about
that.

Completely not the case.

You can use switches up to any level, yes,direct manually actuated
ones.

I didn't qualify it enough. I'm not talking about substation switches.
I heard this from an electrician in Rhode Island.

There is no difference form the code point of view.
A switch is acceptable for use at all voltages up to it's rated
voltage.

Another poster mentioned arcs blowing the cover off so one should stand
off to one side. Sounds like a job for a contactor in a steel box.

2 Issues here,
1 is if it does that it is being used on a circuit where the
available fault is greater than it is rated for. [ the kAIC rating]
And 2: Contactors fail that way too and much more frequently.

[Because they see a much larger number of operations]

jim

jk