Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Squaring a milling vise

Bill Noble wrote:

Harbor Freight frequently sells a magnetic base with a dial type
plunge indicator for around $15 for the pair - these come in handy
and are pretty cheap

I bought one for a little more in Canadian $s. The problem are the clamps.
They stick on one hand and on the other they are difficult to tighten
properly. On occasion I found that one or the other have come loose while
taking a measurment and one has to start all over again. Also, as I
mentioned elsewhere, the indicator has a habit of a non-repeatable zero (the
plunger can return to the same spot showing a variation of about 4/1000".)

I do not know if it is my set or if this is common to all cheap sets or
indeed all sets. Seeing, however, that the prices of similar kits vary
between about $30 and $300 I suspect that there is something one buys for
the extra $$$s. Am I wrong?

In my simple way of thinking I considered that the smallest number of joints
between the dial and the fixed point has to be a good thing. Hence my
interest in that little mag holder.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC