Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Squaring a milling vise

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Anyway, I grabbed a small piece of 3/8 key stock out of the box (not

milled to
square), laid out a centre line and tried to repeat the process of

yesterday.
First of all, my centre finding sucks, but at least the holes were in

line.
There was a minor discrepancy on one end but close examination of the

piece
showed that the indexing side was not completely flat.

So, for the moment, the problem seems to be solved. Now to work on better
machining skills...

Let us assume that you have no indicator at all. You do however have a edge
finder.

If you were to take a reading at the edges of the back face of the mill vise
and get the same reading you would be square.

They make a nifty indicator clamp that clamps on to the quill, very handy
for squaring the vise.

Also once you get set up to indicate the vise, take a little time to adjust
the keyway stops on the underside of the vise so you can get it really darn
close on the first attempt.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.