Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Squaring a milling vise

In article ,
says...

Unless you have a spindle lock, use the mag base and attach it to the head.
If the spindle rotates at all, you've wasted your time.

I pretty much gathered that. Today I got my mag base attached to the head and
reorganized the bars so I could repeat the test.

I re-checked the gibs and lo and behold, there was some play in the X-axis. I
tightened it but to get rid of the play the movement on X is now quite stiff.

I re-tightened the main screws on the vise and with some minor tapping I think
I got the jaws squared down to 1/1000".

One of the issues I noticed was that the indicator does not always return to
the same reading if the plunger is pulled back and returned to the same spot -
there was a random error of about 4/1000"!

Anyway, I grabbed a small piece of 3/8 key stock out of the box (not milled to
square), laid out a centre line and tried to repeat the process of yesterday.
First of all, my centre finding sucks, but at least the holes were in line.
There was a minor discrepancy on one end but close examination of the piece
showed that the indexing side was not completely flat.

So, for the moment, the problem seems to be solved. Now to work on better
machining skills...

Mike Koblic,
CR, BC
-my normal news reader is on the blink!