Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman[_2_] Leo Lichtman[_2_] is offline

Default Abrasive Cutoff Saw Issues

"Jon Danniken" wrote: Hi Leo, yes, I can feel it, I can even see the motor
vibrating. It feels
pretty smooth when it is up to speed, but at a slightly slower speed (I
notice it when it is speeding up) it vibrates noticably.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The fact that it occurs as the saw is speeding up, AND when you slow it down
by loading it suggest that it is a resonant condition. I'm not sure how you
can correct this, except maybe attach some weights to the saw. (Doesn't
sound too practical, does it?)

It's possible, that, as Roy J suggested, the wheel may be out of balance,
contributing to the problem. Rotating the wheel, as he suggested,
recentering it, or trying a different wheel might be worthwhile. I was able
to balance a fan, once, by holding a vibrating engraving tool against it
while it was not running. The vibration overcame the friction in the
bearings, and the heavy blade slowly drifted to the bottom. If you have an
engraver you might try this trick. Or maybe a Dremel tool with an
unbalanced stone or burr would work.