Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default What diamond/green wheel for side grinding on my bench grinder?

In article
,
rodjava wrote:

Hi,
I have a nice 10" bench grinder and would like to mount a diamond or
green grinding wheel on it for side grinding lathe bits. Mostly high
speed steel with the occational carbide.

If you try to grind steel on a diamond wheel, you will ruin the diamond
wheel very quickly. Diamond wheels are for carbide.

For steel you need wheels that do not contain carbon in any form.
Aluminum oxide and zirconium oxide are standard.

As others have mentioned, a belt sander is very good for rough shaping
HSS.

You will also need to make or buy a holder for the HSS bit you are
shaping. Finger holding doesn't work - forces too high, bit also gets
quite hot.

Joe Gwinn