Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default C-Audio Power Amp Head ...

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Arfa Daily wrote:

Seems like just about anything I order now can come from the Belgian
warehouse. To be fair, it usually comes the next day, as the stuff from
Leeds does, but how much must it be costing them to process, pack and
ship
from Belgium, just one item out of an order of perhaps 10 items ? They
also
seem to employ no rhyme or reason with determining how exactly the
orders
are shipped by default. One day, they will deliver a transformer
weighing a
couple of pounds, in a Jiffy bag, by regular post. The next day, a
packet of
transistors will arrive in a box a foot square, conveyed by UPS, who
don't
usually get to me until late afternoon.

Why do you think they charge the price they do ?

The use of 'satellite warehouses' is well established. Someone must have
done the sums. You can bet UPS don't get their standard fee for such
an operation.

Graham

Farnell don't charge me shipping, and to be honest, I've never felt that
their prices are excessive, given the stockholding that they have, and the
normal efficiency of their service.

Arfa

Likewise. I can phone my order for 1 transistor at 6pm if I need to, and it
is here, free delivery, next day. That's what I need to be able to do.

Certain things, like cable and connectors, are cheaper elsewhere, but for
everyday components I order from them exclusively and pay monthly.
Parts are usually the smallest part of the bill anyway, and the customer
pays for them, so ultimately I am not bothered about trying to save them a
few pence if it takes more time and hassle (and possible labour charge) to
do so. Neither, I suspect, are they.

Gareth.