Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Finding a new excuse to go to the shop

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 05:42:49 -0800 (PST), JD wrote:

BTDT, JD...
Just let it happen, pushing yourself to turn is the wrong path, Grasshopper..

leave the shop as "set up" as possible and spend time there, even if it's just
reading or something... The urge will hit you when you're ready..

Hey all, been a while since I checked in on you. I've not been able to
get into the shop lately because I FINALLY finished my Ph. D. and that
required a lot of my time.

Since completing my degree, I have found I'm not as motivated to go to
the shop as I was before. I'm a bit disturbed by this, because I
really do like making piles and piles of sawdust. However, now I'm
wandering if my bowl turning was enjoyable only because I was avoiding
working on my dissertation.

I'm not planning on ever working on another dissertation (the Good
Lord only knows why I worked on the first one), but I would like to
find myself in the shop again. Finding the motivation to go to the
shop, build a warm fire, and begin slinging sawdust and shavings
everywhere has been hard to find.

For instance, this morning I have spent the past 3 hours looking at
various things here on the web. That is 3 hours I could have been
creating, inventing, and learning in the shop. At least I would have
had something to show for my time, instead of sore knuckles and
blurring eyesight from staring at this blasted screen.

The wife is at work, the kids are behaving themselves, the university
is closed for Thanksgiving Break (so I have no obligations), and yet I
can't find any reason to head into the shop. I suppose I'm looking to
borrow someone else's motivation. As a curiosity, I'll ask the
following question: What motivation do you use to go out into the
frigid temps to build a fire and work in the shop (Mac, you can
substitute hot for frigid if you prefer)?

Regards, safe turning, and happy Thanksgiving to all,

JD (Kentucky)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing