charlie b

Default Want Opinions on sliding compound miter saw

Mark wrote:

Hi Guys,
I'm interested in hearing the wreck's opinion on 10/12" sliding
compound miter saw. My criteria areas a

1) Easy depth of cut setting - I'm thinking I would be able to plow

out dado's with multiple passes on a long board easier than a dado
head on the table saw.

None of the SCMS I'm aware of have accurate depth of cut stops.
That's more of a radial arm saw feature. And I wouldn't want
to put any kind of dado blade in a SCMS. Nibbling a dado doesn't
produce a flat bottom well

2) accurate miter/bevel stops.

You do have what you need to check for the accuracy you
want right? A "simple" compound miter saw might be more
appropriate if you want to do really accurate angles etc.
but s SCMS will probably give you adequate results - if
you take the time to set it up right.

3) either a high tooth count blade from factory or a lower price to

offset the cost of buying a higher price.

The Makita 1212 came with a fairly good blade with high tooth
count.

3) [ probably meant 4) laser would be a plus...but again a lower

price offset to buy a laserKerf if not included.

Laser will get you just "close". Skip the gimmick

4) [5?] EZ blade change

Most of the major brand SCMS are easy

5) [6?] replacable zero clearance insert.

Most of the SCMS come with plastic replaceable inserts
The Makita has a pair of adjustable pieces that you can
set to whatever blade width you want.

Of course quality and longevity.

Let's see. I recall my working days mantra - "You want
Fast, Good and Cheap - pick two." You've defined conflicting
criteria. Pry open the wallet and pay for the features
you need. The Makita 1212 comes to about $900 when all
the fence height extensions and hold downs/hold ins have
been added. Through in another $100 plus for some infeed
and outfeed tables and you're almost done. Add another
hundred or so for "mircro adjustable" flip stops, a pair
for flat ends and a pair for mitered ends and you're
close to a low end Unisaw. But it'll be a work horse
and, with proper care, do a good job for a long time.

Thanks
Mark

If you find one that meets all of your criteria PLEASE
let us know.

charlie b