Posted to alt.home.repair
Patriot[_2_] Patriot[_2_] is offline

Default Home Depot Warning

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 05:57:08 -0800, HD Shopper wrote:

Went shopping at my local Home Depot the other day. Browsing through the
kitchen cabinet section I see one of the computers that the HD people
use to write your order. It has a big warning on the screen from Mcafee
Anti Virus Software that the system is infected with spyware. Told one
of the HD customer service reps about it, they looked at me like I tried
to have sexual relations with their dog. Went out to the car to get my
cell phone and take a picture and when I came back the offending system
was turned off. Just makes you wonder how those computers are tied into
the computers up front that take your money when you buy something. Very
scary!

Most employees dont care or dont understand. There business is selling
you home improvement not keeping a windows box clean. The majority of
boxes infected are used to shuttle spam, DOS attacks, Cracking other
systems or boxes.

If your going to run a windows box then you might as well be prepared to
spend ALOT of money on keeping it safe.

Most companies at the retail level dont bother. As long as the box does
what its suppose to do they dont care.

The average windows box uses 30 % of its resources for virus related
software alone. Not to mention that your anti-virus software comes
complete with adware built in!

If you are upset about this then you should be investigating alternatives
like Linux. Microsoft spends alot of time and effort spreading FUD about
linux. But in my many years of experience I find it to be a true
alternative to windows. I no longer run any windows boxes at home. I have
saved ALOT of money and headaches.