Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Handyman rates

"cm" wrote in message
I have been in the home repair business 21 years and no one has ever asked
me for references.

How much are you guys marking up materials? I add 20% to materials.

I also have an A$$ Hole rate that can easily surpass $50.00 per hour. If
someone has **** all over their toilet and I have to work in their
bathroom it goes to $75.00+ per hour. If its just too gross we walk.

I was doing some painting at a clients home once and her dogs ****ed and
**** all over my canvas drop cloths. I left them there when we were done
with the job. I added the cost of new drops onto her bill, which she never
questioned. A month later she called me and asked if I was ever going to
pick up my old drops. I told her no because of the dog mess and I
mentioned that she had already bought me new ones. She says, OH I did???
Me = he he he.

I have never advertised and seldom have business cards unless things slow
down like right now. I like to get my customers face to face or by word of
mouth. With the economy now I have been handing out business cards and
putting the word out that I need work. People are only fixing the things
most important to them and not decorating type things right now. I have
come up with enough work to carry us until January. I looked up handyman
services on craisgslist for the Phoenix area and there are up 200 ads per
day. I wonder if any of them get any work?

cm

Yabbut a lot of them are derelicts and fugitives. Referrals are best, and
as you know, they are slow now. The that's the gravy jobs. People who pay
and appreciate good work and tell friends. Yeah, I had Ahole people, but
most only got a proposal.

Know whut uh mean, Vern?

Steve