Posted to alt.home.repair
Ulysses Ulysses is offline

Default Washing Machine Motors

On Nov 25, 1:56*pm, "Sharp Dressed Man" wrote:
"Ulysses" wrote in message

Anyone have any links showing how washing machine motors work? *I have a
Kenmore that's perhaps 10 years old and the motor will sometimes run,
sometimes just buzz. *There is some kind of switch thingy attached to the
wiring harness that looks sorta like a micro switch. *There is a mechanism
with two springs attached that I think has something to do with getting
the
motor started. *I can't find a model number on the washer and the part
number on the motor doesn't work on Sear's website.

I've searched but so far have not found any general descriptions of washer
motors. *The mechanism appears to be similar to my swimming pool pump
motor
which just need to be cleaned and lubed when it got stuck.

Thanks.

From the language of your post, you're over your head here dude, call in a
repair guy....how do you know the problem is the motor?- Hide quoted text -

The problem seems to be either the motor itself or the switch that is
attached to the motor. If I detach the switch and push it while power
is applied to the motor the motor runs just fine. It pulses and makes
noise if the switch is not pushed in. It seems like there must be
some kind of cam that the lever on the switch rides on but I can't see
or feel one and the motor looks like it was designed to not be taken
apart. I now have the gearbox detached from the motor and the problem
is still the same so that kinda narrows it down. The lever on the
switch does not appear to be worn but I'm not sure what it used to
look like so it's likely it is worn judging from it's behaviour.

BTW I'm using Google cause my NG Server has not updated this group
since 5/07! Gotta get a new server...