Posted to sci.electronics.repair
George Jetson[_2_] George Jetson[_2_] is offline

Default Zenith TV vertical deflection problem

"SloppyChoppy" wrote in message
So, what do I try next? Should I have completely removed and
re-soldered the HOT? Or do I have a bad HOT since it only acts up
when it's been running for a time?

The HOT is the Horizontal Output Transistor. It drives the
horixontal yoke and flyback. If you are having vertical
issues... then the HOT is not the area that you should look at.

If the hot is bad.... then it would be excessively hot or blown..
If it was blown, your set wouldn't even power up...
If it was excessively hot, then it would blow before 3hrs was up....
or even sooner.
If the HOT was the problem then you'd have artifacts in the other
systems of your set, like noise in the speakers... unable to lock
onto channel... CPU malfunctions from the noise on the data lines...
perhaps causing the channels to change by themselves or spewing
jibberish onto the OSD or even killing the settings RAM chip.

Check the resistors in the vertical circuit. If they are damaged,
the that could cause the issue... especially after heating up.. and
especially for those little chip resistors on the underside of the
board. Get the data sheet for the Video Jungle chip and find the
Vertical Output pin. Replace capacitors in that circuit between the
VJ and Vertical Output. If the vertical circuit has a trimmer pot,
clean it, notice it's position and turn it left, right then back to
it's original position... Replace the capacitors in the Vertical Output
section. Wiggling the HOT headsink and creating the issue doesn't
indicate that you vertical issue is in the horizontal circuit. The
stress you put on one edge of the board will cause flexing on other
parts other than the HOT.

BTW: The collector of the HOT is usually the mounting hole for the
transistor to the heat sink.. And depending on the transistor used
and the quality of the mica insulator that might be behind transistor...
that
heat sink could be holding 165+ volts or more just waiting for you to make
that one mistake of touching two places at once.

My advice is to forget the HOT if your TV is powering up and running
for 3hrs. The problem is not in the horizontal circuit. Reflowing that
circuit does nothing but waste solder and iron tip time.

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final

I once fixed a Magnetbox with intermittent vertical tearing, turned out to
be a loose crimp on a tiny pot. Sometimes components fracture or stretch
with age, not just solder joints.