Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_3_] Bill Noble[_3_] is offline

Default Squaring a milling vise

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 17:51:52 -0800, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

The new vise arrived today. Eagerly I clamped it to the table and had at
it
with my indicator (NB - *not* a test indicator). After much effort I got
it
down to 2/1000" in 2" which is not great but I could not seem to do
better.
Anyway, for the job in mind I was not too concerned.

giant snip

actually, for your purposes, I think all need to do is square the mill to
the table. Here is a technique shown to me that is fast and very accurate

clamp a stiff straightedge in the vise - at least 12 inches long.

Take your suface gauge and set it so it just touches one end of the
straightedge with the pins in a table groove. Then take it to the other
side of the vise, and with pins in same groove, check distance - adjust to
remove 1/2 the error and repeat - if this takes 30 sec to square vise to
table, you are just pausing to drink coffee or something.

if the table is canted with respect to the head, it won't matter (at least
for drilling and end milling), so long as the head is vertical to the table.