Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair
beecrofter[_2_] beecrofter[_2_] is offline

Default Osmosis filters and septic systems

On Nov 25, 2:29*pm, wrote:
Over the next few months we're building a new house in a rural area on
25 acres. The 410 foot well is terrific, but the water has a slight
salty taste which apparently is sodium, so we'll have an undersink
reverse osmosis filter for drinking/cooking water, with a sideline
running over to the water dispenser/icemaker in the fridge.

My problem is that RO filters produce about 8 parts waste water for
every 1 part of drinking water. This water is normally routed out to
the drain pipe, which in our case would go to the septic tank. This is
a significant amount of water; for every cup of water you drink from
the RO filter faucet, 8 cups goes down the drain.

Is there SOME way to reroute this RO waste water away from the septic
system? I hate to think of it all going in there. I guess you could
just run a small pvc pipe from under the sink to the yard somewhere,
but that seems kind of ugly-looking. We don't want it going in right
next to the house because it could cause eventual problems with the
foundation.

Please reply to the newsgroup.

Thanks!

Ron M.

Since it's nothing but clean water with a few more impurities what's
the worry? it's not going to clog anything, might be able to water a
garden with it.