Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Washing Machine Motors

On Nov 25, 12:57*pm, "Ulysses" wrote:
Anyone have any links showing how washing machine motors work? *I have a
Kenmore that's perhaps 10 years old and the motor will sometimes run,
sometimes just buzz. *There is some kind of switch thingy attached to the
wiring harness that looks sorta like a micro switch. *There is a mechanism
with two springs attached that I think has something to do with getting the
motor started. *I can't find a model number on the washer and the part
number on the motor doesn't work on Sear's website.

I've searched but so far have not found any general descriptions of washer
motors. *The mechanism appears to be similar to my swimming pool pump motor
which just need to be cleaned and lubed when it got stuck.

Thanks.

Next time the motor hums, smack it with a rubber or wooden mallet to
see if it starts. If it has a capacitive-switch start, the switch
could be bad.

About twice a year I have to jar the motor on my table saw to get it
started.

I think I have an old motor from a Kenmore washer that should still
work. It's pretty old, but it's just been sitting under my workbench
for 10+ years (I think). If there are any numbers on the motor itself,
send them along and I'll see if they match. Maybe we can work out a
deal.

Before you ask, yes, I got caught by the old "sock in the pump" trick
and thought the motor was shot.