Posted to alt.home.repair
Ulysses Ulysses is offline

Default Washing Machine Motors

On Nov 25, 10:06*am, Chris wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
Anyone have any links showing how washing machine motors work? *I have a
Kenmore that's perhaps 10 years old and the motor will sometimes run,
sometimes just buzz. *There is some kind of switch thingy attached to the
wiring harness that looks sorta like a micro switch. *There is a mechanism
with two springs attached that I think has something to do with getting the
motor started. *I can't find a model number on the washer and the part
number on the motor doesn't work on Sear's website.

I've searched but so far have not found any general descriptions of washer
motors. *The mechanism appears to be similar to my swimming pool pump motor
which just need to be cleaned and lubed when it got stuck.

Thanks.

There should be a model right by where the controls are for the washer. It
should say something like Kenmore 80 series or Kenmore 70 series

Once you have this just go to there web site and look up the washer.

I had this situation one time and the motor just buzzed. It turned out there was
a sock stuck in the pump.

Chris- Hide quoted text -

I tried the 80 Series and that didn't go. I tried a number on the
inside of the lid and no luck either. It must have a model number
*somewhere* because I replaced the water-fill selenoid a few years
ago.

Meanwhile I entered the model numbers from the motor and found one
that worked. Lotsa $$$. I could probably get a new washer for just a
few bucks more.

I was not absolutely sure it was the motor until this morning. There
didn't appear to be an socks stuck in the water pump (yes, I checked)
and the gearbox seems to be AOK and turns easily and smoothly with no
apparent broken, worn, or otherwise damaged gears.

I'll try repairclinic.com. Thanks for that link!