Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jneiberger@gmail.com is offline

Default Vibrating water pipes

On Nov 24, 7:42*pm, "Don Young" wrote:
wrote in message

On Nov 23, 7:50 pm, Bob wrote:

wrote:
I have some sort of strange problem. I know little about plumbing, so
I have no idea what to do and I'd prefer to avoid calling a plumber. I
will if I have to, but I'd like to try to troubleshoot it myself.

Beginning sometime this summer, once in a while the pipes in my house
would vibrate for a bit. This was usually when I had the water running
outside and would then start some laundry or something like that. The
vibrating was usually short-lived and it didn't happen very often. For
some reason, the problem has gotten rapidly worse this past week...

Have you measured the incoming water pressure? It sounds like you may
have a pressure regulator that's wearing out, or the pressure is
otherwise increasing.

I haven't measured the water pressure. I wouldn't even know how,
honestly. Maybe for now I'll just turn down the valve coming into the
house to the point below which the vibration starts. Then I suppose
I'll have to call an expert in and have them check it and replace that
regulator, if necessary.

Thanks!
Lots of possibilities, including something as simple as a loose faucet
washer.

Don Young

For the moment, I partially closed the main valve in my basement. That
seems to have stopped the vibrating and I haven't noticed any
substantial change in water pressure.

I don't even know what stub dampers are! I'll have to find out, and as
soon as I get back from my Thanksgiving trip, I'll drain and refill
the pipes to see if that helps.

Thanks for all the help!