Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk basilisk is offline

Default Best wood candidate for new chisel handles

"Sonny" wrote in message
On Nov 24, 10:29?pm, Steve Turner wrote:
basilisk wrote:
Sonny wrote:

.... I make handles out of dogwood and mock orange(bowdock)

Maybe mock orange is bowdock, but Osage Orange is bois d'arc
(bodock).

Sonny

Same wood, goes by many names even in my area of the southeast.

Most of us here in Texas call it "bodark". ?Back in Missouri we called
them "hedge apple trees".

Particularly useful for cooking utensils that are going to be put in the
dishwasher.

Interesting. ?I've found the same thing to be true of Honey Locust.

--
See Nad. ?See Nad go. ?Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

My post wasn't meant to be a challenge, a correction or that I was
being rude. My frame of mind, at the time, was meant to be
informative (bois d'arc) and light hearted. I am aware osage orange
has many other names. Mock orange, however, is a particular flowering
shrub many folks have on their lawns as lawn decor, not the tree, as
osage orange is. That difference could have been confusing, for
some. I had assumed the post was in reference to osage orange. I
apologize, basilisk, if I sounded rude.

Sonny

Same for me if I sounded defensive, but no offense was taken.

Basilisk