Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default AR15 evaluation

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner
wrote on Wed, 19 Nov 2008 01:04:17
-0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Now, think about this. With a variable scope, when you get your
sight picture, how "far away" is the target? Well, that all depends
on what power the scope is set at. E.G., if it is set at 9x and
you're thinking "3x" - "Dang that's close up!", and miss accordingly.
It has been my experience that getting everything "right" for a
shot (cheek weld, eye relief, pulse, breathing, tension on trigger,
site picture, etc) is hard enough without adding the variable of
movable optics. At east, that is my experience. But I do love having
the variable scope to double as a "spotting scope" for post shot
target examination.

tschus
pyotr

you would make an excellent student of mine. You got it in the first
go.

Dang! I remembered and integrated what I heard somewhere.

Range estimation is the reason.

Range finders can and do take a **** with great regularity.

My "training NCO", Dave, uses one to make sure he is at 100 or
200 yards, then uses the scope. First time we were out together, I
was happy as a clam to be getting a five inch group from the prone
position, he was bitching cause he wasn't holding less than an inch.
Of course, he had experience, and motive.

If you are using a fixed power scope, you can easily, over a short time,

My problem, and I'll admit it,is that I'm not an "outdoors" kind
of guy. So, my range estimates tend to be " plus-minus 20%". Not
good.

Standard fixed powers are 8x and 10x. More magnification and it
really magnifies natural body movement, makes mirage far worse and can
really screw things up if the target is "danger close"... Which is one
of the reasons such a rifle really really needs to keep its iron
(preferably decent peeps) sights.

Going off on a tangent. I've a FAL clone on which I mounted a
decent scope. Had to take off the rear iron sight to get it to fit.
(And then there was the silly experience of swapping the scopes ,
discovering after I had them both tightened down, that I had very
carefully taken the scope off the one rifle, picked up the second
scope, and mounted it on the second rifle, before very carefully
installing new rings and mounting the first scope back on the first
rifle. Which I noticed when it was time to pack up.)
But the last time I was shooting, as the morning wore on, I was
having more and more difficulty finding the target through the scope.
A sort of 'white haze'/halo filled the sight picture. I suspect I was
getting glare off the front (iron) sight - really frustrating and not
conducive to a fun shoot. [If it isn't 'fun' I don't want to do it.
If I'm not getting results I can use, it isn't "fun". Not seeing the
target properly, means I'm not aiming, but guessing. That's not fun,
unless I'm here to just make noise and run through ammo. I've done
that too.]
Anyway later in the day, for round two, I wasn't having the
problem, which is part of why I suspect the glare off the front sight.
I've thought about removing the front sight, but it looks to be a
solid & integral part of the front end. Magic Marker to 'blacken' the
ring, so it doesn't reflect as well?

tschus
pyotr
--