Posted to alt.home.repair
cm[_6_] cm[_6_] is offline

Default Handyman rates

I have been in the home repair business 21 years and no one has ever asked
me for references.

How much are you guys marking up materials? I add 20% to materials.

I also have an A$$ Hole rate that can easily surpass $50.00 per hour. If
someone has **** all over their toilet and I have to work in their bathroom
it goes to $75.00+ per hour. If its just too gross we walk.

I was doing some painting at a clients home once and her dogs ****ed and
**** all over my canvas drop cloths. I left them there when we were done
with the job. I added the cost of new drops onto her bill, which she never
questioned. A month later she called me and asked if I was ever going to
pick up my old drops. I told her no because of the dog mess and I mentioned
that she had already bought me new ones. She says, OH I did??? Me = he he
he.

I have never advertised and seldom have business cards unless things slow
down like right now. I like to get my customers face to face or by word of
mouth. With the economy now I have been handing out business cards and
putting the word out that I need work. People are only fixing the things
most important to them and not decorating type things right now. I have come
up with enough work to carry us until January. I looked up handyman services
on craisgslist for the Phoenix area and there are up 200 ads per day. I
wonder if any of them get any work?

cm

"Raleigh_3_Speed" wrote in message

Tarty wrote:
I realize rates are different throughout the country, but I was wondering
about what rates are in your area.

I recently got a flyer in my paper box. This person advertises, HVAC,
electrical, & plumbing, among a host of other services. Some of the
things
missing in their flyer are key words such as licensed & insured.

In my city, one can get a general license for contracting, you must
provide
proof of insurance. I know this because some years ago, I used to be a
licensed/insured GC. My insurance company used to mail to the different
cities, a copy of my $500K liability policy, b/4 the cities would issue
license.

Licensing for electrical, HVAC, and plumbing are totally different from a
GC license and are State issued, but these services must be registered
with
the cities around here. They also must carry additional licenses with the
cities in these parts.

Anyways, this person advertises painting, leaf raking etc.

Their rate: $50.00 per hr.

Seems a bit steep for a handyman, even if they were licensed & insured.
And
surely not enough for a licensed professional.

What's the going rate for a handyman in your area?

I charge between $25 - $50/ hr. depending on the work done.

Before you hire anyone, you should always ask for references.