Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Doorbell always uses electricity!

Sam E wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Gary H wrote
George wrote

But the Chi Coms need to meet our requirements if it is sold here. I
can't remember the last time I saw a new walwart that wasn't a much
more efficient switcher design instead of an inefficient transformer.

The new wall-warts are smaller, but it's NOT by eliminating the
transformer. These new ones begin with an AC-to-AC converter,
that operates on line voltage and raises the frequency. A higher
frequency requires a smaller transformer.

They dont have any transformer that uses power all the time.

Possible with any wall-wart you add a switch to. Making it
automatic would be tricky, without power to turn it back on.

Makes a lot more sense to use a modern switchmode wallwart instead.

"Switcher" refers to a more efficient voltage regulator,

Wrong. It always refers to what you listed above.

That's one of the many varieties of "always" that are strangely non-inclusive.

I meant to say 'also' not 'always'. I dont proof read my posts.

Maybe you've never heard of "switching regulators",

Fraid so.

but I have a lot.

The AC-to-AC converter allows a smaller, lighter transformer
(which I expect draws less power with 0 load)..

You dont know they are AC to AC.

Perhaps you mistake "low power" for "no power".

I never said anything about no power.

That sort of mistake is very common.

There is no mistake except with the use of the word always.