Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Doorbell always uses electricity!

In article , J. Cochran wrote:
In article ,
Bill wrote:
I've gone through my home and examined *every* electrical gadget, appliance,
etc.

98% of the products I have use electricity when not being used! 98%!!!!

Things which have no reason to use power when off! Things which used to have
a regular on/off switch.

Seems to me someone wants me to be using more electricity!

So I post on the internet that I am shutting this stuff off and I get a good
number of responses NOT wanting me to do this!

And I can easily tell you why.
Take a close look at your first article in this rather long thread.
Now using just that article, don't you see a rather nasty potential for
injuring or killing someone?

So the immediate reaction from the people reading is

"What an IDIOT! He wants to save a couple of cents per month at the risk
of potentially killing someone! I have got to stop someone else from doing
something this stupid and also potentially harming someone else"

Did not the idea suggested here involve "Romex" and an appropriate
v120V-rated pushbutton switch?

Then later in the tread, you mention actually using a GFCI and wiring
everything to code, etc., etc., etc. But you totally ignore anything
involving return on investment. In order to save pennies, you spend 10s of
dollars. Not a rational choice, but it is your choice.

Savings can easily amount to $1.50-$2 per year. Deepending on value of
labor to accomplish such, possibly even in a family's "entertainment
buidget", at least some families can find such a project to be more
worthwhile than earning money to put into "safer" investments/savings.

- Don Klipstein )