Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
turnerbob turnerbob is offline

Default glued laminates

On Nov 24, 9:45*pm, "walnutlvr" wrote:
I plan on joining 2 or 3 boards together with titebond 3 to achieve the
diameter I need. The total rough diameter will be about 4 inches. Can these
be safely turned and is the glue I am using ok?
Thanks in advance
Lee

Hi Lee, In most cases it is quite safe but it all depends on the type
of wood you are using. A wood like maple can be glued up and turned
very safely but if your using an oily exotic wood you need to take
certain precautions. The joints should be fresh cut and then wiped
down with a solvent. It also helps to rough the surface with
sandpaper. Of course your joints need to be tight fitting. With most
woods the glue joint is stronger than the wood itself but this doesn't
hold true with some of the oily exotics. Bob
http://www.outofcontrol-woodturning.com