Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Noble[_3_] Bill Noble[_3_] is offline

Default sharpening with a wet wheel?

"Old Guy" wrote in message
I've never sharpened lathe tools with a wet wheel.

What's the advantage?

I see the main disadvantage being time wasted.

I like my edge SHARP. After 5-10 minutes on hard wood, I can feel the
drag. Two steps to the grinder, about 45 seconds to touch up the
edge, and back to the lathe. Frequently I don't stop the lathe, takes
to long.

I doubt that I could do that with a wet wheel.

I'm interested, but sceptical.

What can you tell me.

Old Guy

well, there is "sharp", then there is "Sharp", then there is "SHARP", and
finally there is SHARP!!!!!!!!!"

if you make a pass or two on a 60 grit grinder and touch up the edge so you
get nice curly shavings, that's "sharp" - do it with a sharpening guide on a
120 grit wheel and carefully touch up the edges and you get "Sharp" - it
will dull faster but on soft woods you will get a better surface finish.
Use a Tormek wet wheel and a jig and you get SHARP - it will do a much
better finsh pass, but except for finishing it's not much different from
"Sharp" and that's why many don't bother. Finally, if you want to make
transparently thin shavings because you are in a hand plane contest, or you
are carving by hand, or you are doing surgery, you need "SHARP" - requires
careful honing with progressive grits and will easily split a hair in half
(though I've never figured out what to do with the other half of the hare
besides make soup).

hope this clarifies the matter
bill n