Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lynn[_3_] Lynn[_3_] is offline

Default sharpening with a wet wheel?

"Old Guy" wrote:
I've never sharpened lathe tools with a wet wheel.

What's the advantage?

I see the main disadvantage being time wasted.

I like my edge SHARP. After 5-10 minutes on hard wood, I can feel the
drag. Two steps to the grinder, about 45 seconds to touch up the
edge, and back to the lathe. Frequently I don't stop the lathe, takes
to long.

I doubt that I could do that with a wet wheel.

I'm interested, but sceptical.

What can you tell me.

Old Guy

I suppose time wasted is why the slow wet grinder has all
but disappeared (unless one invests in a fancy-dancy "Tormek
or equivalent)

I use (because I'm cheap, I suppose) a lot of carbon steel
tools around the shop. I have become quite proficient at
burning the edges just a little.

Just getting into woodturning now, but I have done quite a bit of
work with a hand plane. (time wasted, you are probably thinking)
As we all know, sharp is key here, and a really nice edge (without
any blue tinges is pretty easy with a wet or oil stone...... just thought
hey, with a motor here, this could be pretty cool!

I have tried sharpening my lathe tools with a conventional bench
grinder, but haven't quite perfected the stance and roll necessary to
make a pretty grind.... Some tools have gotten shorter, quicker than I had
hoped, so probably will try a homebuilt jig like a couple of the pro's
show on their web sites.

Picture of my old time Sears wet grinder is posted on ABPW,
(Alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking) but is pretty big unless you
are on some sort of broadband service.

Old Chief Lynn