Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default paint car hood

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
A while back, I was dragging a culvert behind my tractor. It caught on a
concrete lip, stood straight up, then tipped over on my better half's car
hood.
She was not impressed.

OK, now I've bought a like new hood from the salvage yard, and she just
got a quote for $500 to paint it. That ain't gonna happen.

I'm pretty good at painting tractors and other equipment. Enough to know
the key is preparation. What steps should be taken to paint this hood? (I
know it has a clear coat over the white color, I need red with a clear
coat) If I don't get it right, the boss will just take it in.

Karl

Basically, clear-coat is not a DIY process. Some of the materials are quite
toxic and fussy about mixing and application. You will need it to be
professionally done if it is to look satisfactory. Be sure that your
insurance will not help. You could have specified a correct color hood when
you bought it and may be able to get an exchange. Otherwise, pay up and
charge it to "Education and Training".

Don Young