Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair
f825_677 f825_677 is offline

Default Electrolytics question

ian field wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote in message

f825_677 wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote:

As Graham says, but be aware that unless you are a *very* experienced
solderer, and posess the right desoldering equipment, you will struggle
do the job. These are some of the very worst bitches to get out of a
board,
that you will *ever* come across. And then some.
You should try a Sony 1602 or 1601 IC from one of their broadcast mixer
boards - it can take an hour if you're lucky and all day if you're not
and we have professionaly desoldering vacumme equipment - the holes are
barely larger than the pin its self every engineer working on these
things in every broadcast engineering department complaints about these
devices.. Give me a 100 pin BGA device any day..

If you know the IC's buggered (or even of low commercial value), cut every
pin
and remove them individually. Then clean the holes up. It always wins on
time and
cost.

Graham

If you make sure none of the pins are bent on the solder side sometimes its
possible to just lift the pins out one by one on the tip of the iron, if the
pin is sheared off close to the IC body it leaves a slight hook on top,
simply hook the tip of the iron under it and add fresh solder - this runs
down the pin providing heat transfer to the solder joint and the surface
tension holds the pin on the tip as you lift it out of the hole.

Yes I've employed that method on convential type devices - but the device I describe is
somewhat different - have a look at the datasheet you'll see what I mean.
Its a 41 pin device about an inch square - all pins on the underside