Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair
Archimedes' Lever Archimedes' Lever is offline

Default Electrolytics question

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 23:01:01 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message
f825_677 wrote:

You should try a Sony 1602 or 1601 IC from one of their broadcast
mixer boards - it can take an hour if you're lucky and all day if
you're not and we have professionaly desoldering vacumme equipment
- the holes are barely larger than the pin its self every engineer
working on these things in every broadcast engineering department
complaints about these devices.. Give me a 100 pin BGA device any
day..

If you know the IC's buggered (or even of low commercial value), cut
every pin and remove them individually. Then clean the holes up. It
always wins on time and cost.

Isn't that a PGA? Hard to cut the pins.

Is it ? I was referring to pinned ICs. Use a flame thrower on a PGA
! ;-)

If it is a ceramic package, that is not far from the best way to remove
it.

I would: Heat the PCB up a couple hundred degrees F, then heat the
ceramic chip package body up with a high temp heat gun, while inverted.
A heat gun on the bottom of the board should cause a near instant reflow,
and release of the chip.

The chip and pins get real hot. The PCB assembly only gets hot enough
to perform the reflow/release operation.