Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard Evans Richard Evans is offline

Default RED electrical wire in ceiling junction box

" wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I am installing a light fixture with three wires:
Black - Hot
White - Neutral
Copper - Ground

The Junction has four wires coming out. They are all capped as this
junction box has never been used. They a
Black
White
Green which is ground ?RIGHT??
RED ?????

Do I forget the RED wire and leave it capped??

Some of the other posts mention RED wire used with a FAN???

Maybe one leg of an old three-way switch?

About twenty years ago, when I bought my present house, I converted
two three-way swtches to one single-pole switch. I capped the unused
switch box and covered it with drywall.

I can't for the life of me tell you exactly what I did, but it's been
twenty years and the place hasn't burned down.